With the end of August 2020, we are planning to organize Advance Employability training in cooperation with Enable India. There will be 20 candidates in the training. 5 candidates of our current batch were qualified to join with the new training. The total duration of the training will be 4 months through an online platform. The training will be under the control of RCGF and the knowledge partner is Enable India. This is indeed a job oriented training where eligible candidates will be placed in various work environments. This training also helps the visually impaired in their reading and research needs as well as their jobs and careers.
On 31st July 2020, we conducted the closing ceremony of our 17th batch candidates as an evening celebration. The program was presided by the Founder of RCGF Surya Rtn. Dr. George Mathew. The President of Rotary Cochin Global Rtn. Dr. Parashuram Gopinadh, Secretary Rtn. Binoop Paul and other council members are present on the occasion. They congratulated all our candidates’ effort and assured support and assistance in the future activities of RCGF Surya. There were 3 Excellent grade winners among which Jeelu Jacob won the top scorer award. There was the Social Integration Project presentation of candidates and the entire program was very much congratulated by all the participants since it was arranged through an online platform.
Due to the Corona pandemic, we had to change the second half of our training to an online medium. Initially there was a dilemma in the execution of our training among Visually Impaired candidates. However we could accomplish the task without difficulties. As the candidates are already familiar with basic concepts of computers, it was very easy to implement the concepts of Zoom Cloud Meeting, Whatsapp, and E-mail etc. to communicate with each other. All the sessions are conducted with Zoom online platform. The notifications and guidelines are provided through Whatsapp. The finished works were collected using e-mail. The role of application called Enable India Eye tool was helpful to the self-assessment of candidates by immediate feedback. There were English and Employability sessions on a daily basis. We are thankful to the voluntary service of Teresa Madam who spends an hour every day teaching Communicative English to our candidates. With the end of July 2020, we could conduct the final examination of our candidates online and every candidate got passed when the result came. We have given extra chances to our candidates to join an advanced Excel workshop and PowerPoint arranged by KFB Youth Forum.
Computer Training For Visually Impaired
Foundation Course in Computers and Employability
Duration: 6 Months
The new batch for Foundation Course in Computers and Employability for the visually impaired will commence on November third Week, 2019.
Introduction to RCG Foundation:
RCGF, an NGO was established in 2008 with a mission to focus on empowering and rehabilitating the Visually Challenged in new age employment opportunities, by making them employability literate, skilled in English communications, Mobility & Personality development to enable them stand on their own feet and secure a job, support their family, and to be a role model for the other Visually Challenged people.
We run the course in collaboration with Enable India-Bangalore, the number one institute in India which is providing the computer training for the visually challenged people. Both the parties are working in the field of disability and would like to join hands to promote the benefits to the disability sector by participation in each other’s programs. The main objective is to collaborate with each other by using the strength of each organization, to maximize the benefit for the person with vision impairment in the area of computer literacy, domain specific training and employability training.
Introduction to Foundation Course in Computers and Employability:
Computer Training for the visually impaired is the greatest form of empowerment which opens up the world to them: a world of information (aiding research, education, daily living, recreation), people, jobs, books (print to voice).
Computer training involves training on Computer Basics, MS office applications, Internet using the JAWS & NVDA screen reading software which are talking software that aid the visually impaired to “hear” everything that a sighted person would “read”.
This is an initiative from RCG Foundation with the group effort of Enable India team towards giving quality computer training for visually impaired people who have completed their studies and are seeking job, and those who want to continue their studies in the field of computers.
Main goal of this course is to make the candidate employable by providing computer knowledge and making them efficient in using computers independently. This will increase the employment opportunities, betterment of existing job, and for higher studies.
Life skills and life education training for both career and life: personal competencies, overcoming disability, managing conflicts, effective work habits etc.
English training: spoken and written communication, business communication and heavy emphasis is to enhance spellings.
Computers: basic computers with Microsoft Office applications like MS word, excel, outlook, PowerPoint, and internet.
Miscellaneous concepts like scanning and reading, Printing documents, CD Burning, Physical connections of computer, trouble shooting etc…
Employability training: disability specifics which will enable candidates to overcome their disability, General employability fundamentals which will enable them to work efficiently at workplace, job simulation which will help candidates to know about different jobs.
Fun and Entertainment: which helps the overall development of the candidates.
1. Computers with Windows 10operating system and Office 2010,
A. Jaws 18
B. Latest NVDA
2. Audio files for Theory
3. Training Manuals and student manuals
4. Self paced exercises for each concept.
5. Weekly tests and final assessment test.
6. Designed Curriculum with computer concepts and employment aspects.
7. Tactile Diagrams
8. EYE tool for automated correction and self learning.
9. Spelling Tool
10. Real world exposure through role simulations on the computer
Field visits to the bank, shopping malls, ATM’s etc where candidates learn about the usage of computers in different fields.
Work shadowing in the companies
Real work which will give hands-on experience of working in a company/NGO
Candidates also carry out project work which involves requirements gathering, planning, status reporting and execution.
20 hours of community project is compulsory.
· The duration of the course is 6months. The first 6 months will be focused on basic computers with English communication, mobility, employability and personality development.
Timings : 9:30 AM – 5:15 PM, Monday – Saturday
Start Date : November third Week , 2019
Premise : Rcg training center, Kakkanad
Course Fee : No Course Fee
Accommodation will be provided.
Assistance will be provided in getting employment for eligible candidates based on their performance
· Any visually impaired person with graduation or equivalent diploma. PUC/+2 pass
candidates may be considered on an exception basis.
· Age should not be more than 35 years
· Who want to use computer skills for their education/ employment
· Visually Impaired persons who can dedicate their full time for the entire course
Important Note: Persons who are waiting to join other courses/education/employment during this period that is November 1st , 2019 to June 2020 are not eligible to join the course.
· Register for the training on or 15th November 2019.
Registered candidates should come down to Info park, Kakkanad on or before 15th November 2019. It helps us to assist you with the hostel/PG accommodation
Seats are available on first come first serve bases
For further queries contact us:
Anju Narayanan, Chief Trainer: 9526629949
Eldho K Abraham, Assistant Trainer: 7907995761
BASIC COMPUTER FUNDAMENTALS TRAINING PROGRAMME FOR PERSON WITH VISION IMPAIREMANT
DATE: 09 APRIL 2018 MONDAY. DURATION: 8 WEEKS
RCG Foundation Computer Fundamental For person with Vision Impairment starts on (09/4/2018, Monday). This course will be conducted at the following address
Vismaya Building,Ground Floor,
Mail id: firstname.lastname@example.org
This course aims:
- To provide computer literacy for visually impaired
- To make candidates self-reliant on computers, in order to gain access to quality education
- To make candidates self-reliant to lead a quality life.
- To make candidates computer literate.
- To make candidates self-reliant on computers, in order to gain access to quality education.
- To make candidates self-reliant to lead a quality life.
- To orient visually impaired in using computers independently.
- To make the visually impaired employable by providing computer knowledge.
- To use computers in the existing job, and for higher studies.
Note: The scope of this training does not include making candidates ready for employment; it only makes them ready for employability training.
Details of the course:
|Name of the training||Computer Fundamentals for persons with vision impairment|
|Batch size||16 candidates|
|Student Trainer Ratio||8:1|
Candidates who have passed 10th, studying in college and teachers who want to use computers at work. Such candidates will be selected on a first come first serve basis, with no evaluation test.
The computer fundamentals training
- Basic Computers: Includes concepts like file folder management, Basic MS word, Basic Excel, and Internet with the help of NVDA (screen reader).
- Basic Employability: Functional mobility, use of assistive technology and learns to take notes effectively.
- Life skills: Accepting disability, personal hygiene and personal grooming.
RCGF Surya teaching techniques help the candidates use computers to improve their language skills, general knowledge and awareness, for higher studies, for better job opportunities etc. To help them reach these goals, our teaching methodology includes:
- Teaching concepts with real world examples: For example to teach document structure and formatting, we introduce a real world example of a visually impaired person giving an unformatted resume during a walk in interview and its impact.
- Teaching concepts by generating curiosity: For example, to teach the internet concept, we generate the curiosity of the candidates by asking them to visit a nearby internet café or by touching and feeling a modem and cable.
- Introducing concepts using simple examples: For example to teach how internet works we use the example of telephone lines that run through a telephone exchange and their interconnectivity. Candidates are also introduced concepts gradually, exposed to a concept part by part.
- Leading candidates from known to unknown: Candidates may not be exposed to many things because of their disability. We teach them concepts by leading them from the scenarios or things they already know. For example to make them understand the concept of formatting a document, we ask them why they like certain people’s voices and not others’ voices. We then lead them to understand that formatting a document is like voice modulation and so on.
- Reinforcing concepts: Theory sessions are followed by practical sessions. Constant practice of concepts through EYE tool helps candidates become more efficient. Previous concepts are also reinforced throughout the training.
- Iterative learning: Concepts take time to learn. We teach a small part of a concept, give time to assimilate and then teach more.
- Building visualization: We use tactile diagrams to help candidates visualize various concepts.
- Building self-learning: Candidates are motivated to practice using various tools and develop a self-learning attitude.
In order to make visually impaired candidates understand concepts better, trainers who work with visually impaired need to use various teaching methods and teaching aids/tools while training them in computers. The main teaching aids we use in computer training are:
- Tactile Diagrams translate images into a tactile language. Learning to read tactile diagrams is essential for the totally blind and visually impaired students. Tactile diagrams help them to visualize various things by touch and feel.
Tactile diagrams can be made easily with different types of materials available locallylike cardboard, wood, plastic, cloth etc. Tactile diagrams are also made using thermocol sheets.
For Example: While teaching the Desktop concept to the visually impaired, we use the tactile diagram of a Desktop. The desktop tactile is made of cardboard piece, the size of a desktop screen. This piece has small bulging items pasted on it which resembles icons. Visually Impaired candidate can touch and feel the shape of the Desktop and the icons. Through this method the visually impaired candidate will be able to remember the concept for a long time. Using tactile helps them visualize the concept better which in turn builds their confidence.
- Practical Exercises play a key role in the computer training for visually impaired. Exercises are text documents with a set of instructions related to a particular concept. This helps the student practice the concept by exploring on his/her own. Exercises help the student to practice and understand the concept thoroughly. For every concept, there are multiple exercises.
For example: There are exercises which contain instructions for the “Save” concept in applications. This helps the students to practice and understand the layout, navigation, various ways of saving and its exceptions.
Other tools for practice: EnAble India has developed a tool called EYE Tool. This contains self-practice exercises that are assessed automatically. We also have a Spelling Tool which helps the candidates to practise their spellings. Candidates can use our student manuals on various computer concepts and learn various concepts by themselves.
- Attendance: Regularity is one of the criteria for overall evaluation. Students must have at least 80% attendance.
- Others: Weekly practical tests, projects, assignments and final exams assessments will be included in evaluating the candidates.
|Excellent||80% and above in overall evaluation|
|Good||60-79% marks in overall evaluation|
|Fair||40-59% and below in overall evaluation|
|Needs more practice||Below 39 %|
Timings of the training
9.30 am to 5.30pm, including lunch break
Duration of classes
6 days a week for 8 weeks
What will candidates gain from this training?
Candidates taking this training will be empowered in many ways and can live with dignity:
- Candidate will gain knowledge of computers and screen readers. This in turn will improve your quality of life, education and entertainment.
- Candidate will gain knowledge to use the internet and access a world of information to get better educational and employment opportunities.
- Candidate will gain knowledge about using aids to make everyday life easier and independent.
അഗളി : മലമടക്കുകളിലെ ആദിവാസി ബാല്യങ്ങൾക്കു കംപ്യൂട്ടർ പരിജ്ഞാനത്തിന്റെ ആദ്യപാഠങ്ങൾ പകർന്നു നൽകാൻ, അറിവിന്റെ കരുത്തിൽ അന്ധതയെ തോൽപ്പിച്ച ഒരു സംഘം യുവതിയുവാക്കളെത്തി. റോട്ടറി കൊച്ചിൻ ഗ്ലോബൽ ഫൗണ്ടഷന്റെ കാഴ്ച വൈകല്യമുള്ളവർക്കായുളള കേന്ദ്രം ആർസിജിഎഫ് സൂര്യ .ഊരുകൾക്കപ്പുറത്തു പുറംലോകത്തിന്റെ വെളിച്ചം കണ്ടിട്ടില്ലാത്ത കുട്ടികളായിരുന്നു പഠിതാക്കൾ. ആദിവാസി കുടുംബശ്രീ പദ്ധതിക്കു കീഴിലെ ബ്രിജ് സ്കൂളിലെ വിദ്യാർഥികൾ. അട്ടപ്പാടി ക്യാംപ് സെന്ററിലായിരുന്നു ഹൈടെക് ട്രൈബ് എന്നു പേരിട്ട മൂന്നു ദിവസത്തെ പരിശീലനം. കാഴ്ചയുള്ള ശിഷ്യന്മാർക്ക് അറിവുപകരാൻ കംപ്യൂട്ടറിന്റെ സാങ്കേതികതകളെല്ലാം ശബ്ദത്തിലൂടെ മാത്രം പഠിച്ചെടുത്ത അധ്യാപകർക്കു മിഴികളിലെ ഇരുട്ട് തടസ്സമായില്ല. കുട്ടികൾക്കും പഠനം പുതിയ അനുഭവമായിരുന്നു. കംപ്യൂട്ടറിന്റെ ബാലപാഠങ്ങൾ അറിയാനായതിലെ കുട്ടികളുടെ ആഹ്ലാദം അധ്യാപകരെയും സന്തുഷ്ടരാക്കി. ക്യാംപുകൾ തുടരുമെന്നു സംഘാടകർ അറിയിച്ചു